Monday, October 7, 2013

Swing and a miss

Last Saturday was my first time out hunting in half a decade or so.  It was great to be out at 5 in the morning.  Because shooting light wasn't until 6 something, I didn't get out into the woods until closer to 7.  Walked all morning on a piece of public land that I really had no knowledge of.  I should have scouted it earlier, I just never got around to it.

At about 7:45AM I was resting in a thicket.  I had just put my bag back on and picked up my bow, when I heard a lot of noise moving from my right to my left, probably 20 yards in front of me.  With all the brush I couldn't see anything.  Then to my right I saw what I'm pretty sure was a doe, as it circled back around.  Not 30 seconds later I saw the white flag as it moved away.  My thought is that I stumbled upon their normal morning trail and as they approached they caught a whiff of me.  I'm pretty sure there was no way I would've snuck up on them.

It was a good morning and I now know that there are definitely deer out there.  I'm going to hunt another property this weekend, but I hope to be back out on that public land in another week.  Hopefully I haven't completely run them off.  The next block of woods over is being logged, so I'm banking on them being used to humans and the smell.  Better luck next time.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment