Monday, July 1, 2013

It has my name on it!

So yesterday was the official Bow Hunter Education Course.  8 hours of extra training on top of your Hunter's Safety Course to help in defining the extra difficulties and skills necessary in bow hunting.  The coolest part was blood trailing.  Now granted it was a set up trail, but the guy knew what he was doing and it was pretty lifelike.  The only problem was that one of the instructors was not the best orator.  His teaching consisted of 'You know?' 'It's just...' 'I mean' 'You've gotta be kidding me' but all of them ad nauseam, especially 'You know?' followed immediately by 'I mean'.  Now granted this has nothing to do with the man's knowledge and experience, but it does make it severely hard to pay attention, receive any useful information, and to even understand what he's trying to say be it another story or warning.  He's an engineer and I understand how when some of us (I am in school for the very same) get cooped up by ourselves with our research and we get older, we just do not understand how communication works anymore.  But I digress.  Anyways the class was informative and I enjoyed it.  It was also free.  And it did brush up on topics of hunting that I appreciated the small refresher on since my Hunter's Safety Course was back in '07.  At the completion of the course they give you another small card to put in your wallet/carry with you hunting along with your safety course completion card.

We also got to shoot at the end and that was informative and exciting.  However I did break another fletching (this one just ripped all the way off) due to a dead-center shot on a bag target that was a little worse for wear.  So I wasn't super happy about that, but it will be a cheap fix and in the future (probably sooner rather than later) I will need a few more arrows anyways.  I got to see other hunters' equipment as well and got to hear some first hand opinions, even though I've done quite a bit of research myself.

All in all, if you're a seasoned hunter and you want a little more of a challenge bow hunting might be for you.  It's also great for younger hunters too, as there were several there at the course and it's definitely something that you can get into early in life and enjoy for a long time.

If you have been following this and you like what you see feel free to chime in.  Or if you disagree I like a good debate.  Opinions are always welcome.  My bow is the Parker Pioneer XP with V-Force V6 Carbon arrows fletched with 3 inch, offset vanes.  Broad heads that I will be using first are the Muzzy MX-3's at 100 gr.  I bought it from Huntersfriend.com and they had great service, fast shipping, and I would definitely do business with them again.  I would also recommend them to anyone.

Thanks and stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment