Sunday, July 14, 2013

Sunday is a day of rest.

But not for me.  I started shooting at 30 yards right off the bat today.  My first grouping had one arrow way out of the rest, but I knew it was a bad shot.  The rest were all touching in the lower left of the outer ring.  Which I actually went and measured the other day and it's actually only a 5.5 inch ring.  That makes the middle about 1.5 to 2 inches.  I felt really good about the consistency of my shot.  The next few rounds were nothing spectacular, but I could definitely feel the shooting in my arms.  I think I'll be taking a break from shooting for a day or two and just work out.  By Wednesday I think I'll be good to go again.

So after that I came back to 15 yards (where my top pin is sighted in) and I crushed em.  I was driving those tacks hard and fast and every one of em was in the 2 inch ring.  It just goes to show how important it is to practice at different distances.  Now that I've broken into shooting and I am doing well at my 15 to 20 yard shots, it's time to back up and really practice from 30 and 40 yards.  My 40 yard round was not good.  I had one in the inner ring, but the other three were not.  There was one two inches from the bottom of the target, the next was halfway between the first and second arrows.  But the last one was not even on the target.  When I shot it I heard more than I should've.  Usually all I hear is the "thwack" of the arrow hitting the target and going partially through.  This time I heard more of a "smack" and then almost a rustle.  So I figured I had missed.  When I finally found the arrow, it was in the woods behind the target.  I believe it just went over the target, but it's possible it went through.

Then I decided to try a little broad head practice.  I haven't yet shot my broad heads, so I was a little excited and nervous.  I also took a field point for my first shot, just in case.  I let the first shot go at 20 yards and it looked good.  So I shot the broad head.  It was a little off to the right, but I think that might have been hand torque.  It looked like a good shot.  I tried again, and not bad results.  I think it will take a few more than two broad head shots to really see how their performance is different, but I believe it won't be that much off.

So a great day of practice and I know what to focus on in the near future.  Of course the basics are always important, so it's imperative to make sure the fundamentals always come first.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment